Do you believe high schools should prepare students for the jobs of the future? Do you believe that parents and families should be engaged in school decision making? Do you believe school boards should reflect the communities they serve? Good Reason Houston is hiring a community organizer to get more people involved and advocating for change in their school communities.
Good Reason Houston seeks experienced field organizers in Houston who will lead our efforts on the ground. The organizers will develop relationships with partner organizations, support local community members to regularly engage their local school board and/or board of managers, and plan events to build community in targeted locations throughout Houston.
The organizers will report directly to the Chief of Public Affairs and will be based in Houston. We are looking to fill these positions immediately. This role will require evening and weekend hours.
Good Reason Houston’s vision is that every child, in every neighborhood, excels in a world-class public school and thrives in the Houston of tomorrow. To grow more great schools in every neighborhood in Houston, the organization focuses on four key strategic levers: Driving System Innovation; Developing Game-changing Educators; Advancing Equitable Access; and Engaging the Community.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recruiting, developing, and training local leaders who represent their community
- Ensuring local community voices are heard and are part of decision making processes
- Tracking and staying up to date on local education issues
- Supporting relationship-building and coordinating with local partner organizations and community allies
- Reporting on daily and weekly goals to team lead
- Working collaboratively with staff to share lessons learned and adjust strategy
- 3-4 years community organizing or campaign experience
- Conversational Spanish preferred
- Familiarity with the Houston area
- Highly organized and able to work at a fast pace
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience managing volunteersExperience with data
- A pattern of executing against goals on time and to high standards
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to connect with and develop relationships with a wide range of individuals
- Eagerness to contribute new ideasNeed to have a personal laptop, cell phone, and car
- Personal experience with community development, education, and other local advocacy issues preferred
The salary range for this position is $50-60K based on experience.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter.